Summer is almost over and, although we all had our share of fun in the sun, our bodies are probably in need of a vacation after the vacation. Whether we were catching an O’s game at Camden Yards, spending long weekends at the beach, or perusing through city streets during Artscape, summer of 2015 was a hot one and it shows, especially on our skin! The QG shares a few tips on restoring any damage the sun may have left after our fling with summer.
1. Use a facial cleanser. Your face isn’t a martini, so why would you ever want it dirty? Regular cleansing is essential to keeping your skin looking radiant and healthy. One of the many benefits of facial cleansers is the removal of any dirt, oil and debris your skin collects throughout the day. So, clean that dirty look off of your face with Glycolic Facial Cleanser by Anthony ($26).
2. Exfoliate. One of the most effective anti-aging secrets is exfoliation. Not only does it improve skin tone and brighten the complexion, exfoliation has also proven to reduce fine lines and sun damage. The purpose of facial scrubs is to remove dead, dull skin cells from the surface, which can actually help you get a closer shave. Detox with Baxter’s Facial Scrub ($17) at least once or twice per week to keep your youthful look.
3. Moisturize. This is almost a no-brainer. Moisturizing is known to boost hydration in the skin, prevent flaking and dullness, and helps retain the skin’s elasticity. A popular moisturizer is Active Moist by Dermalogica ($38); it’s a lightweight, oil-free lotion for daily moisture protection to actively combat surface dehydration. However, you may want to consult with your esthetician for professional recommendations on a specific moisturizer that works best with your skin type. May your humor be dry, but never your skin.
4. Hydrate. Although your face is important, let’s not forget about the rest of your body. Quench your skin’s thirst with Cool Moisture Body Lotion by Jack Black ($28). This lightweight, quick-penetrating lotion helps nourish the body’s skin with special cooling ingredients that calm and refresh overheated skin, making it perfect for application after a shower or hard workout. Also, be sure to drink plenty of fluids (your 15-year- old scotch doesn’t count) to keep your skin hydrated, and don’t skimp on the SPF!
5. Invest in shampoo and conditioner. Many of us neglect to purchase conditioner along with our shampoo. While shampoo strips the dirt and oil from the hair, it still needs nourishment from conditioner. We do a lot of damage to our hair’s outer surface due to adverse weather and harsh environmental conditions which makes the hair look dry and dull. Wash the sand out of your hair with Aveda Rosemary Mint shampoo ($13.50), followed by Aveda Rosemary Mint conditioner ($13.50). Conditioning the hair will preserve its luster and shine. Because no one has time for boring hair.
Finally, the key to looking as young as you feel is maintenance. Taking care of yourself is the most important thing you can do. We urge you to treat yourself to a monthly ritual of self-care. So, please schedule an appointment with your grooming and spa service provider soon and ease your way back into cool weather. Summer will surely be missed, but at least you’ll be more handsome for it next year.